Friday, August 29, 2014

Vintage Football from the LCS

After I went to the card show a month ago I was inspired to visit the show promoter's shop before he closed it. Turns out his lease is up in February so it'll be open until then but he is serious about reducing his inventory now and he had most of his vintage stuff marked at half off. So all the cards in this short series of posts were had for a quarter or fifty cents at the most.

Here are a couple of guys I have a personal relationship with, a very very tenuous relationship but whatcha gonna do?

Ben Hawkins was a star player for my hometown high school in the early 60's. My buddies and I used to sneak into Nutley's Park Oval field to watch him play on Saturdays. We could never beat Montclair. And the year we did the refs screwed us out of it.


Ralph Baker is the first pro athlete I ever met in person. He was a friend of my ex-uncle from Baltimore.


A different uncle on mine owned a pharmacy (and the family still does) in New Jersey. It was one of those places that everyone in town used and my uncle knew everyone. Somehow he got Bob Tucker to make an appearance at his store. I went with my Dad. It was cool to feel like a 'privileged character' with behind the counter access.



6 comments:

  1. Love the vintage football sets from the early 70's. Just completed the 73 set which included the Ralph Baker. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a brick of the '73s from the shop for $2. I love that set.

      Delete
  2. Uuughh...it's football season. Everything is football, even baseball card blogs. But ya know...vintage makes everything better and I gotta admit these are pretty cool. Good score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I'm as more a football guy than I am baseball, at least when it comes to being a fan.

      As for the blog, I believe in variety! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ben Hawkins was famous for not buckling his chin strap while in the game. The NoFunLeague put an end to that at some point.

    I had a Ben Hawkins jersey in the early 1970s. (Well, not really an Eagles' jersey - it was a kelly green Russell mesh jersey with the #18 on it, and I was living in the Philly area, so that was close enough.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::::where did my reply go?:::::


      Anyway.... having a jersey back then was pretty cool and unoque, not like today.

      Hawk did the chin strap thing in high school.

      Delete