Sunday, March 16, 2014

Have you ever lost a card?


I did. I had a nice 1957 Billy Pierce Topps. It was autographed and I even posted it late last summer. But recently I was gathering up my 'collections' from various boxes, binders and stacks in order to get them organized. And my '57 Pierce wasn't among any of my stuff. At least not in any of the logical places it might have been. 

So after rechecking with no luck I went to eBay and found a decent replacement. The '57 Pierce isn't an expensive card so there wasn't a huge cost factor involved but even as one who doesn't particularly collect autographed cards I thought my original one was kind of neat. Caulk it up to the price of being so damn un-organized for so long. 



For the record here is the scan of my 'lost Pierce'.


9 comments:

  1. I could swear that at one point I had a 1952 Topps Hank Thompson in my possession. My best guess is that since it's not a 2.5 x 3.5 card I couldn't keep it with the rest of my collection, so it may very well be in a screw-down holder at the bottom of some box.

    ...And now that you've replaced the Pierce, the original will show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...And now that you've replaced the Pierce, the original will show up.

      I have absolutely NO doubt that you are right!

      Delete
  2. I lost a card this week. An eBay seller shipped me the wrong card and told me they'd get me a shipping label. I waited for the shipping label for over a week and during that time, I somehow misplaced the card (actually it was a vintage Fleer sticker). But it happens to me all of the time... especially because I have cards at home, at work, at my parent's house, and at my buddy's house. They're all over the place and sometimes I lose track of where things are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest problem was that when I took my hobby room apart to make it my boys' bedroom I took all the pages out of my orange binders, took many of the cards out of those pages, and then dumped them all in boxes. I went from being Mr. Organized And Cataloged to the owner of boxes of 'stuff''. I have binder pages of '67 Orioles stuck among pages of TCMAs and Exhibit cards, etc. I'm working on a plan as to how I am going to plan to make it a better storage plan.

      Delete
  3. All. the. time.

    Haven't lost an autographed one though yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine with all the stuff that shows up at your place.


      If the Pierce was part of an 'autographed Topps Pierce collection' (which I considered) I would have been really hacked at myself. I figure I went from having a card with 'gravy' to just having a card. I'll live.

      Delete
  4. I thought this item was lost for about fifteen years until it showed up ine day:
    http://canthavetoomanycards.blogspot.com/2011/10/buried-treasure-part-2-signed.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuff like that, with memories of good times with your Dad, is priceless. Just a super thing to recover. Funny you should sent that particular link, I just last night did a post on Stan Mikita. It'll be up this week.

      Delete