Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pro Set made Soccer cards? Who Knew?


Certainly not me. But Fuji knew. Fuji knows a lot of stuff including how to buy a box of cards to finish a set he hadn't started. And he sent me these examples out of the 1990/91 set. There was a set issued the following season as well.

All are Manchester United players. That's my team and I make no apologies. One day I hope to make it to Manchester to see a match at Old Trafford. They are certainly struggling this season as they adjust to a new manager. It just doesn't look to be their year.

Man U. is touring here in the States this summer with matches in D.C. and Denver. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it to one of those. I've only seen Man U play live once, here in Houston against the MSL All Stars. I'd love to see them in an EPL setting.

Anyway here are the cards. None of the three players were stars but all had notable careers. Danny Wallace laft the game after it was discovered he suffered from MS. That hasn't slowed his post-career life any.




Mike Phelan came back to coach and manage with Man U under Alex Ferguson in 2008. He was let go when Sir Alex retired.


Thanks for the cards, Fuji. I hope you get the set(s) finished soon.

7 comments:

  1. At some point in the 1990's, I bought a cheap wax box of this set. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I am an Anglophile who'll buy anything cheap and British (insert your own joke here). After I ripped the packs I said "OK, now what do I do with these?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I bet you were an Amy Winehouse fan. (There is your inserted joke)

      Delete
  2. I am not a soccer fan by any means. But I have some UK issue soccer cards Circa 69 -71. If you want a couple let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark. If any are Manchester United cards, I'll take some. Thanks for the offer!

      Delete
    2. I believe some are. I will dig them out

      Delete
  3. I actually bought a "wax" box of the 1991/92 Series 1 of the ProSet Football League cards. I have two or three of every single card.

    I'm a Manchester United fan as well, so I appreciate the fact that that set included cards for both George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the cards. If I find anymore from the other set, I'll send them your way.

    ReplyDelete