Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mark Hoyle... He has everything

And he shares it! I'd love to see the warehouse he obviously has behind his house. I picture it looking a lot like the one in the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Multiple dupes of every set ever published in carefully marked boxes. Hoyle on a Segway tooling back to Aisle 7 Shelf 42 to pull some Ralph Baker cards the minute I blog that I met the guy through my uncle when I was a kid. Then over to Aisle 116 to dig up a couple of 1970 Comic booklets that I listed on my wantlist.



Mark recently sent another one of his really nice card-stuffed envelopes my way and as always it contained some really great items. Take a look.


From the 1970 Topps Comic set Mark included the Cleon Jones and Tony Oliva booklets. Between this pair and another handful I nabbed on COMC I'm down to about a half dozen or so of these to knock off the set.


Vintage football, of boy do I love vintage football! To save some time I multi-scanned some of these. Vintage Colts make me happy and sad at the same time. Below are not only the Raph Baker cards I mentioned but some Bob Tuckers (I spoke to him at my other uncle's pharmacy once), a couple of Ben Hawkins cards as well. I watched him play for my high school when I was young enough to sneak under the fence of the Park Oval in Nutley N.J. once upon a time.


And there are more Colts and a few Orioles as well. That Bert Jones cards will end up in the reconstructed binder of cards in my very first niche collection, 'Guys On The Phone'.

Thanks, Mark. You're a prince!

3 comments:

  1. I laughed at the "Raiders" reference, partly because I enjoyed the reference, and partly because I wonder if there's a bit of truth to that.

    Maybe Mark has a replicator like they had in Star Trek: The Next Generation... He just walks up to it and states his need: "Bert Jones. 1975. Mint.", and there's a little sparkly effect while the card materializes. Maybe Mark Hoyle looks and sounds like Patrick Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. Hoyle has the market cornered when it comes to vintage. Between him and jaybarkerfan, they probably have sent 50 to 75% of the care packages floating around our blogworld this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only wish. The problem is my dupes are in better order than my collection.

    ReplyDelete