Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fun With Football


This 1968 Topps card of Tom Beer came from the pile of cards I grabbed at my LCS a month ago. Cost me a quarter and it goes in my Houston Cougar alum binder. I was looking though that stack the other day and this card nagged at me. It sure looks like an English football (soccer) card.

Sure enough it's the same design as the 1969 A&BC set, several of which I received from Mark Hoyle and posted awhile back.



Those two comapanies had a working relationship and some designs from Topps US issues showed up on English soccer cards. This sort of stuff fascinates me for some reason.

5 comments:

  1. I love these older designs that show up in multiple places across the world. I was surprised to see that the same happened with some of the backs. That 1961 CFL card you sent Fuji had its back replicated on 1963 A&BC football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good eye /memory. I always thought that football set looked very plain

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in my long-term goals to pick up representative samples of A&BC football cards, mainly because they are recycled Topps designs.

    I love how the photos seem to be "outtakes" from the team photo session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That haircut makes Beers look like he'd fit right in with the Man U squad!

      Delete
  4. What an hair style!
    In football we have so many players positions. Even more with the evolution of tactics there are even more positions than 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete