Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baaaaaa


Because I was in Target the other day and I didn't have much at home to blog about I went ahead and bought two packs of A & G. So I scanned some and here they are. just like they are on everyone else's blog.

Don't get me wrong. The set is pretty good. It's different at least. For two years I bought a box for Gint-A-Cuffs and had fun with that. But both times i finished scanning and posting them and put them back in the box knowing I'd never look at them again. If I'm going to buy a box of cards I should at least have the intention of completing a set. But modern card sets are impossible to complete, or so it seems to me.

Here are the cards of the players I've heard of, the minis, the non-people cards and well, someone else. My two favorites are the Machado and the Eckersley. If I was going to chase cards of a current player Manny Machado would be the guy. And I saw Eckersley the other day doing TV color for someone (Red Sox?/ESPN?) and he looked like he could still come out of the bullpen and give a good inning or two.


Two minis. Brett and Wheeler. I'd rather have the full size Brett, it's a neat artsy portrait.


I read that the Phils are looking to trade Ryan Howard. I went and looked at his stats, I guess he's been hurt the last few years because his numbers have really fallen off. He's not that old, just 34 so maybe he has something left.

Now the special set cards. This is the only Air Supremacy card I've seen and I like it. Maybe I'll look for the others.


Natural Wonder cards and stuff like that don't excite me much.


I knew that Jose Abreu was a hot player this year and I see why. 29 homers. Pretty stout. I seem to get better horizontal cards than vertical ones.


And then there was this card.


I could have lived without this one.

8 comments:

  1. Now that I'm the lone remaining A&G-free blogger, I have to say that I like the P-51 Mustang card.

    I went to eBay to find out what else might be in that insert set. It doesn't appear that there's a P-38 Lightning, so they lose major points for that omission.... but at least there is a Sopwith Camel card. Curse you, Red Baron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone. I haven't written any A&G posts this year... or picked up any packs either. But I would... if the price was right. I actually like the non-baseball cards they put into it... even Mrs. Sweatt.

      Delete
    2. LOL I sent you an envelope yesterday. Arrrrgh. I'll send a PWE with Mrs Sweat Monday. I'm mark it as a biohazard.

      Delete
  2. I haven't bought any because I haven't seen and, but I was in a case break and really want those Air Supremacy cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark this one off your wantlist. I'll have it in the mail Monday.

      Delete
  3. Bloody hell! You got the Mustang! The beauty P51-D!
    Do you know if they also have the Japonese Zero!? Those 2 fighters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't look like it, Ana. Found the list online:


      AS-01 B-17 Bomber
      AS-02 F-22 Raptor
      AS-03 Supermarine Spitfire
      AS-04 P-51 Mustang
      AS-05 B-52 Stratofortress
      AS-06 AC-47 Spooky
      AS-07 F-16 Fighting Falcon
      AS-08 F/A-18 Hornet
      AS-09 Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
      AS-10 Sea Harrier FA2
      AS-11 Sopwith Camel
      AS-12 F-86 Sabre
      AS-13 F-15C Eagle
      AS-14 EA-18G Growler
      AS-15 V-22 Osprey
      AS-16 Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
      AS-17 B-25 Mitchell Launch
      AS-18 MiG-15
      AS-19 Hawker Hurricane
      AS-20 F-15 Eagle

      Delete
    2. Well..historically I can understand why Topps would leave Zero out of the checklist..
      But leaving the Tomcat out of it is blasphemy!
      I've always liked A&G and after seeing this year insert for fighters I'm even more in love with it. Hope to get some packs in some future.

      Delete