Sunday, May 11, 2014

"Why did I just buy that?"



"Why did I just buy that?"

Go ahead and raise your hand if you have NEVER said that after some random hobby purchase. You, you in the back with your hand up.....you're not being honest!

This is a Leaf History of Baseball 2012 Cut Signature Edition Billy Pierce edition. I bought it on eBay last week. The guy was taking offers so I low balled him and he accepted. Then I saw it for a couple of bucks less than even my offer so my time spent thinking I got on over on the seller was pretty short-lived.

It scanned like crap because it's a thick 'card' in a hopelessly thick case. Why it's in a Beckett slab I'll never know because it's not graded or anything. Let's weigh the positives and negatives on this thing, shall we?

Negatives first:

1) It's stupid. It's a piece of a picture with an autograph. In a card that won't fit in a page pocket. And it doesn't even show much of Pierce (which with a 'cut' is kind of the point I suppose).

2) I have more autographs of Billy Pierce than I need already. Plus (this is a bonus negative) I don't really collect autographs anyway.

3) It cost way more than it's worth. I just bought a really nice signed George Brace photo of Billy Pierce on eBay for $10. This was twice that.

4) It wasn't not on my want list. In fact I had no idea it existed and I am not chasing modern Pierce cards to any extent.

5) It's stupid. That one is worth mentioning twice.

6) The case appears to be welded shut. Even my Dremel cut-off saw attachment is going to have issues with it.

Positives:

1) It's Billy Pierce.


Whatever.

Oh, here is the back:



12 comments:

  1. When Pierce signs around here, it's never more than $10. And for that reason, I will never pay more than $10 for ANY Pierce auto.

    Yeah - it's a great addition, but I can see your buyer's remorse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, thats maybe the worst part, Pierce is a signing machine.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the Brace photo worked out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 25 photo postcards. Nothing signed. I really like them

      Delete
  3. Cut signatures being priced so high might be the most obnoxious aspect of the hobby. These things should be selling for a dollar or less. Hideous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never been aware of them as part of card sets. I have a cut Unitas sig mounted under a nice photo. You're right, this was priced too high.

      Delete
  4. Do you read my blog? This kind of stuff is the story of my life. I just try my best to keep my head up and look forward to the future. Like Dory (from Finding Nemo) said... "just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely thought of you first because you say this stuff all the time. I swear the first title for this was "I just Fuji'd!!"

      Delete
  5. Maybe you should put it on ebay and see what you can recoup. Maybe there's someone else out there like you. I admire you for admitting what you did. Don't know if I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is another admission, I've never sold anything on eBay. LOL I've bought a boatload of stuff but never sold one piece. I may get organized and try some this summer.

      Delete
  6. dude... if I put up a post everytime I screwed up and said to myself, "Why did I just buy that?"

    I'd be posting a lot. I mean, a LOT.... at least the Pierce fits in your collection.

    ReplyDelete