Friday, May 16, 2014

George Brace photo of Billy Pierce


George Brace was a sports photographer who worked in Chicago for 65 years chronicling hundreds of baseball and football players as they came through town. Brace died in 2002 (read his story here) but left behind a legacy of wonderful photos. Check out these on eBay. You can also find a nice bio of Brace from 1996 on the Sports Illustrated site.

A week or so ago Mark Hoyle tipped me to the listing for this signed Billy Pierce pic taken by Mr. Brace in 1951. The patch on Pierce's sleeve commemorated the 50th Anniversary of the American League. The look on Pierce's face commemorates his enthusiasm for the game. Pierce has a great sig, too.

The fingerprint on the photo must have been on the negative. I'm considering it George Brace's signature. So in my book this is a duel signed photo!

Thanks, Mark for thinking of me. I'm really happy to have added this to my Billy Pierce collection.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it worked out. I love the Brace photos . I have about 25 black and whites.. They even have some color ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I'm headed over to eBay to see current listings of Brace photos.

    ReplyDelete