Wednesday, March 4, 2015

I like Big Cards and I Cannot Lie


The eighties were an interesting time for collectors, especially demented "I need one of EVERYTHING!" team collectors like I was. It it was Orioles related, I grabbed it up. Dealers and shop owners knew it and they 'put stuff back' for me knowing they had a sure sale once I walked in.

These 5x7 Topps Orioles and Diamond Kings cards were part of a box I pulled out the other day that contained noting but oversized cards. In addition to these Topps and Donruss it held postcards, Perez-Steele art cards, Hall of Fame commemoratives, those postcard foldout thingies that had twelve 'Top Sluggers' that sort of stuff. If there really is a sucker born every minute, I took care of an hour.

If you thought Eddie Murray looked badass on his regular '85 card the giant one just compounds his badassedness. And doesn't it look like Mike Boddicker knows a secret about you and knows that you know he knows it?


Classic Cal follow-through pose.


I was always on the fence about Diamond Kings. I think Dick Perez did better things elsewhere but these were pretty special at the time.



I've always been a sucker for anything Warren Spahn.


Softball style jerseys are garbage. Even for bp.


Brooksie!


8 comments:

  1. I always pass over large cards because the storing is an issue with me because I'm terrible at buying supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had tons of two and four pockets that were the old PVC kind and I messed up some nice stuff removing them from the pockets.

      Delete
  2. I too love me some big cards. In my humble opinion, Topps Super is and always will be super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually a fan of the big cards. I use 2,3or 4 pocket pages. They display pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see the Warren Spahn cards that Bob Lemke has made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. He's working on more so I'm going to wait for them and pick a couple. Spahn cards are awesome

      Delete