Tuesday, January 20, 2015

National Park Quarters


I recently did something that I didn't think I ever would. I went on eBay and spent money to buy money.

After finishing my long, slow collection of the US State Quarters a year or so ago I decided to go after the followup version, the National Parks Quarters. I found most of the first three years' sets pretty quickly and by the end of 2014 I had come across the five that were issued in 2013. But I had only one of the 2014s. My school's cafeteria cashiers will let me go through their coins when I ask , so I see a lot of coins, but for some reason the 2014s were very elusive.

I finally gave in and ordered the five 2014 coins on eBay and paid almost $3 for $1.25 worth of coins. Now I am caught up and can wait for the next release, the Nebraska Homestead National Monument of America Site Quarter which goes into circulation in early February.

This is the folder/book that houses my coins.


Here is how it looked before the eBay package came on Saturday. 


On the one hand I feel like I 'cheated' to knock out a year's worth of the quarters. But when I was putting my '59 set together 'one f/g card at a time' I actually bought several 'lots' along the way. So I'm looking at this as a 'lot' purchase. 

3 comments:

  1. Geez, I didn't even know they had Nat'l Parks quarters! I kinda stopped paying attention after I finished up two sets of the state quarters. But, these looks pretty cool. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you eat at McDonald's? I've gotten most of the 2013 and 2014 park quarters from there. Even a couple of the Denver mint ones, which are somewhat harder to find here in NY state. Their Egg McMuffins are also highly recommended :)

    I also got both 2014 Dimes there, which is also highly unusual. Last time I found a Denver mint dime in circulation was 2009 or 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to stop for my coffee at McD's most mornings but gave that up. Interesting that they specifically would have newer coins.

      Delete