Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday Morning Quarterback #43 Steve Walsh 1995 NFL Experience



In this ongoing series of posts I am going to feature cards from my fantasy football player collection, specifically the 117 quarterbacks I've had on my team's roster since 1980. I have one selected card for each player in my All-Time Flyers binder. Through the years I've tried to use as many different card varieties as possible while holding on to my preference which is: a card issued in a year I owned the player showing him in the proper team uni in a vertical format. Card availability and my whims have had a big impact on that standard as we will see. 
NFL Info:  Jimmy Johnson coached Steve Walsh at the University of Miami for a couple of seasons and then drafted him for the Cowboys in 1989. That was the same year the Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman so you know how that worked out for Walsh. He was traded to the Saints a few weeks into the 1990 season and started 11 games for them that year and seven the next. He was dealt to the Bears in 1994 and was their primary starter that season. He bounced around the NFL for another five years and then retired to coach high school ball in Florida. His record as a starter was 20-18. Walsh is the uncle of New York Ranger defenseman and captain Ryan McDonagh.

Fantasy Impact: Steve Walsh sat on my bench during both the '94 and '99 seasons. He was backing up my teams' backup Erik Kramer in Chicago in '94 and backing up my teams' starter, Peyton Manning of the Colts in '99. I never used him.

The Card: The copyright line on the back of the card says 1994 but this card is considered part of the 100 card 1995 Classic set. The bio reads as if the card was issued late in the 1994 season...("Through 11 weeks....") so it appears to be a set that came out at the tail end of the '94 season. A bit of research might uncover the truth but I'm not interested enough to dig into it.

The card itself isn't awful but neither is it attractive. I like that the color scheme echos the Bears colors and the fact that there are two different pictures used front and back. The back is among the least informative cards I've come across. No stats at all and nothing in the way of info at all other than the one paragraph blurb. If the card was, as it seems to be, issued late in the season I guess I can understand the lack of a stat line or lines.




No comments:

Post a Comment