Thursday, October 9, 2014

Some 70-71 Topps Hoops, Odd Cards from an Odd Set


My pursuit of the '70-'71 Topps basketball set consists of adding cards to COMC and eBay orders to make paying the postage worthwhile. That, and cards people send me. It's just that casual. And I'm collecting it because, well, it's so unlike anything else I like. On a scale of 1 to 10 my interest in the NBA these days is too small to be measured. Call it a '0'. In 1970/71 my interest was about a '3'.

I got a bit more excited when the Rockets moved to Houston in 1971 and brought Elvin Hayes with them. For a couple of seasons my friends and I could watch games on the U of H campus for a dollar, and pretty much sit anyplace we wanted. That was fun.

Bottom line is that I remember some of these guys. Lee Winfield was from Houston and had friends among the guys I knew. And look at that card! I love the 'from above the backboard' shot. Winfield is doing the 'weave' drill in a warm-up top that's airbrushed into oblivion.



Next, take a gander at Dale Schlueter here. He looks like a happy high-schooler, doesn't he? Little do you know. He once shot the bird at me and made a nasty comment during an NBA game. It's a story my friends and I still share for a laugh sometimes. You can read it right here.



1 comment: