Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Topps '65 Embossed Inserts

Quick, who is this?

It's Brooks Robinson. And I know because the actual card tells me. Otherwise it might as well be Bob Turley, Lloyd Waner or  Jerry Lynch.

These embossed cards were a 1965 Topps insert and show that gold foil cards were not invented within the last two decades. There were 72 of them with AL players appearing in blue backgrounds and NL guys on red. There were lots of stars in the set but there were also some run of the mill guys like Joe Azcue and Jim King. I've seen reports of silver foil being used on a few cards.

I have the Orioles and a couple of others. Here are some O's. Without the printed name they'd all look pretty much alike.



2 comments:

  1. I know these aren't too popular with the vintage crowd, but getting a Koufax or Drysdale from that era for a super-cheap price is pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, they are a cheap way to grab a star on a card issued during his career. I just wish they hadn't made every player look like a 1900s player with those short brimmed caps.

    ReplyDelete