Friday, May 18, 2012

Brooks turns 75 today

Today my favorite player celebrates a milestone birthday. Brooks Robinson is 75. Hard to believe he's been retired for some 35 years. Seems like yesterday I saw him hit one of his last homers. It was a ninth inning shot in Arlington Stadium in June of 1976 and I recall knowing that it would likely be the last time I would see him bat in a major league game.
I've had the good fortune to have spoken to Brooks a few times. He's always been very gracious. I named one of my twin sons Brooks Robinson Andrews. I received a nice note and inscribed picture from Brooks when my aunt made him aware of that. That was something that amazed and impressed me.

I sure hope Brooks can get past his recent medical issues real soon. Meanwhile, Happy Birthday to one of the greats, Brooks Robinson!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment