Sunday, January 25, 2015

Ernie Banks


By now everyone knows that Ernie Banks passed away on Friday at the age of 83. I just thought I'd post a couple of cards and pics from my 1959 Topps blog. When I did a search on his name on that blog about ten posts came up. He was just that big a part of baseball. Has anyone anywhere ever uttered one negative word about him? I doubt it.

His '59 card is among the best cards of the set, maybe among the best cards of the decade. A bright day at a ballpark, a youthful looking Ernie Banks with his glove up and ready, as if he was playing catch, the sun on his face. Pretty much perfect.

The Baseball Thrills card commemorates his 1958 MVP award. He won that playing on a fifth place club.


Here is the original photo (from 1957) that was used for this card.


Ernie had an All Star card in the '59 set as well.


Finally here are my sons at Wrigley Field a couple of winters ago. I made sure we got some shots with the Banks statue.


R.I.P. Ernie. I feel honored to have watched you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment