Sunday, July 1, 2018

World Cup? I'm all in...still

Being retired has a few perks, one being I can pretty much do what I want most days. Lately, that's meant a lot of World Cup soccer. I know, I know...you hate soccer.  Well, you're missing out on a great deal of fun if you're ignoring the WC. This one has been the best I can remember...amazing goals, late match drama, retired Argentine legend Maradona acting like a complete tool. This WC has had it all.

Having said that yesterday was a real drag. My favorite international player (Lionel Messi) got the boot by France and my beloved Portugal squad was smothered by Uraguay. But even on a day that I was disappointed by the results, I saw wonderful performances by France's 19-year-old Kylian Mbappé and Uraguay's Edinson Cavani who both scored twice.


To bring this around to hobby talk the card above is my only Messi and it shows him in his FC Barcelona kit.  

And below is a recent acquisition.....the 1928 John Player & Sons Tobacco set of 50 Footballers.  It has British and Irish soccer and rugby players. The only card representing Manchester United is of the rather obscure Frank Mann. His Wikipedia entry:

Frank Mann, (born on 17 March 1891 in Nottingham - July, 1966), was an English football half back. In his early days, he played for Aston Villa F.C., Huddersfield Town A.F.C. and Manchester City F.C.. In March 1923, he was sold to Manchester United F.C.. He would stay with United until 1930 when he retired from playing professionally at the age of 39, and carried on playing non-league football for a while with Mossley.

During his United career, he made 197 appearances and scored five goals. He helped them win promotion to the First Division in 1926. He played for them until the age of 39, making him one of the oldest players ever to play for the club.
Here's a blown up view of the back.
My scanner balked at these so I scanned one of the binder pages.



British cigarette companies, particularly Player offered some wonderful cards. I've got a couple of sets including military uniform and nature-based cards. Fascinating stuff to me. 


10 comments:

  1. Maybe it just underlines my lack of understanding, but I find it interesting that a set of "Footballers" includes athletes from what we now consider two entirely different sports... maybe three because I don't know if there are rugby union and rugby league footballers included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured out the difference between RU and RL. I'll stick to following footie.

      Delete
    2. For a while the easiest distinction was amateur vs professional but now that everyone gets paid I have no idea.

      Delete
  2. Hehe, a pack of soccer cards that my mom gave my son is in many ways the thing that rekindled my interest in the hobby. That it was a decent pack obviously helped.

    https://twitter.com/vossbrink/status/780900825790943232

    Also, I love those Players Cigarettes cards. Pre-war Cards sent me a few and they're beautiful.

    https://njwv.wordpress.com/2018/06/21/pre-war-cards-from-prewarcards/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember his post and was jealous he had the whole 75 card set.

      Delete
  3. I've been loving the World Cup too! I've watched more of this one than any other by a long shot. Also really liking the 2018 Panini Prizm World Cup set, although it's a little pricey in retail.

    Those Players cards you picked up are fantastic! I've got a similar, older tobacco set of soccer cards I've been meaning to show off for forever now, can never seem to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at that WC set and decided against it due to cost. I may pick up a few singles once the hype settles.

      Delete
  4. My Japan team just lost....Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I think I've seen the best game of the tournament a better one comes along. That was an amazing match. Japan played their hearts out after nobody gave them a prayer of competing with Belgium. Those two saves their goalie made within seconds of each other were just ridiculous.

      Delete