Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Presidents and Junk Wax

Collecting Presidential memorabilia is an expensive hobby for the most part. That's why I confine myself to inexpensive campaign pins, Presidential cards from Topps and other companies and assorted trinkets.

When I saw that Archives had a Presidential Chronicles subset I figured I could find it cheap and I did. It's only 10 cards total but several of those ten are targets in my collection, such as it is.

The JFK and Nixon cards are my favorites of the set. I really feel the pictures Topps chose for these two cards capture the essence of each of them. Kennedy, the charismatic orator, Nixon the thoughtful brooder.



The other cards in the set are Truman, the two Bushes, Jimmy Carter.....


...Hoover, Lincoln (how I wish I could afford some actual Lincoln memorabilia!), Ford and President Obama. The last two are very well represented in my collection.


The back of each card has a one paragraph blurb. You can't call it a 'bio'.


The Kennedy card uses a picture from his speech at Rice University in September of 1962. That day he proposed a large budget for NASA in hopes of having them put a man on the moon. Here's the original photo from Google Images. Looks like it was a beautiful day at Rice Stadium. I've seen many games there and that place hasn't changed a bit in 50 years.


And the Junk Wax I mentioned in the title? The seller used eight 90's era baseball and hoops cards to fill out the thick toploader. I'm sure every one of us has gotten cards orders thru the mail that included extras that the seller used to protect the 'goods'. I've never had this many cards as a 'bonus'. These are the six 'best' cards of the bunch. The Frank Thomas and Karl Malone cards are probably worth a nickel apiece but hey, a Hall of Famer's card is a Hall of Famer's card!


7 comments:

  1. I'll have to look around to see if I have any presidential cardboard to send your way in my next PWE. Do you have any of the 1932 American Caramel US Presidents cards? I've always thought those were so cool, but never found one cheap enough to pounce on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've LOOKED at a lot of them online. Haven't picked up any for the same reason. I recently found a seller with a lot of low conditioned ones. I may just break down and pick up a couple. One thing I've found is that my Saved Search on eBay misses a lot of them because people list them in all different ways.

      Delete
    2. Yeah right after I left this comment I went and looked on eBay to see if I could find any real cheap ones to pick up for you but they're tough. Low grade PSA Washington and Lincolns on eBay right now...if you have $100 to spare! Each!

      Delete
  2. Did you put together the set of presidents from the base set of 2012 Panini Americana? I've been wanting to do that myself, I have about 10 of them now. They are pretty sharp looking cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought them as a lot. I need to pull them out and scan a few. I agree, they are nice cards, some of the best stuff Panini has done.

      Delete
  3. In the process of building this set. Hope to have it done in the next few months. I was a little bummed that Reagan didn't make the checklist. Oh well... I'm sure there will be another president set next year.

    ReplyDelete