Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Newest Card Show Pickups

It's a little difficult to concentrate on cards and such these days given the fact that this country has gone to hell in a handbasket but I'm gonna give it a shot. Maybe doing a blog post is what I need.

I went to the hotel card show a couple of Saturdays back Darrell has changed locations for the West Houston show and it was a welcome surprise to see the room he's booked. Space to breathe! How nice. And more dealers table as well.

I had a couple of goals at the show. One was to scrounge the cheap vintage boxes for 1962 Topps baseball. The other was to help out a couple of blogging friends with their current needs.  To one extent or another, I managed to accomplish both. Plus I was able to nab a few cards that fall into the 'Just Because' category. Those are the ones I'll post here.

I might as well just call the 1972 Kelloggs set a collecting goal. I found a couple more at the show. The best of which is this Vida Blue.


I'm also calling myself an official Dick Allen collector. I mean why the hell not? I love this '74 card. Both front....


....and back:
"Dick likes to listen to stereo music." Awesome!

This is probably my third or fourth Brooks Robinson Deckle Edge. None of them are centered correctly. The bottom edge of this one does have the deckled edge but my scanner refused to acknowledge that fact. 


I'm not sure if I already had this '66 Elston Howard card. That's a problem that will rectify itself once I finish my grand scheme to re-organize. My hobby room/office is now completely re-done with shelves and bookcases. I made a bulk purchase of binders and pages. Now the real work begins.


This 1958 Jackie Jensen All-Star is an upgrade to the one I have in my '58 set. I'll do a fifty cent '58 card upgrade anytime.


I'm sure I've mentioned previously how much time I wasted as a kid studying the backs of these things. I loved seeing who hit what against whom. I don't know why for sure but it fascinated me no end. For example, I see that Jensen has a nice '57 versus the A's. in 19 games he smacked 6 homers, had 20 RBIs and hit .324.


A 1964 World Series subset card with Koufax will always jump out of the box and into my pile.


I don't have much Ali stuff outside on my autographed SI cover to I pick up cheap stuff when I find it. Like this '83 Olympic card.


I picked up a bulk starter lot of 1975 Topps cards recently because it was dirt cheap. But it was all commons so I bought these starts for a buck apiece. I'm not sure I'll ever get around to really pursuing the '75 set because I have several other things on my list but you never pass up stars for a dollar.


I found a few football cards as well. I bought this 1954 Bowman Buddy Young because I figured it might be an upgrade to the one in my Colts collection. It isn't but it's still a nice card to have a dupe of.


'Crazy Legs' Hirsch from 1956 because it's tough to pass up something like this.


This '59 Lenny Moore IS an upgrade. So I feel vindicated.


Back to a baseball card. this is one of those cards I just can't pass up even though it was two bucks and I'll never even try to complete the '53 Bowman set. I just thought it was a beauty of a card. I've been trying to find one of those Browns caps for a long time but I never can locate one to fit my huge head. I've got a nice gray and brown version but it's not the same.

Man, just look at this card. It's art.


Here's the back. I don't think I've ever really noticed that Bowman made room for kids to fill in 'this year' stats below the player's career numbers.


And finally here's my favorite card from the show. From out of the quarter box comes this 1975 Topps Seattle SuperSonics team card. Yup, that's Bill Russell on the tarmac. This card jumps immediately to the list of my favorite hoops cards. 


I don't know many of these guys but that's Slick Watts with the headband above Russ. Tom Burleson is (I think) the tall guy at the bottom of the stairs. Jim Fox is two guys to Burleson's right with John Brisker in between them. I think that's Spencer Haywood at the bottom of the stairs but I wouldn't bet on it.

All in all another fun show. Next up is the July TriStar extravaganza. That one should be great for working on want-lists.

5 comments:

  1. The other day I was idly poking through the Jefferson Burdick collection on the Metropolitan Museum of Art's website...
    https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/drawings-and-prints/burdick-collection
    ...and saving some card images to be used as laptop wallpaper. I decided then and there that I need more 1953 Bowman in my collection. There are some beautiful cards of players I don't know... I'm hoping that "Never heard of him" equates to "relatively affordable".

    ...and I'm also going to have to look for that Supersonics team card. My tiny basketball collection needs that card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the one you put on Twitter. I need to go do the same.

      Delete
  2. Good to read you're at least on the path to a 75 set. Also like that Sonics card, I just happened to discover that in the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do basketball, but damn....that Sonics card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take a little different approach to the current situation our country resides in. Personally... cards help take my mind off of all of the political shenanigans residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

    ReplyDelete