Wednesday, June 27, 2018

How could I forget Stan The Man?





The 1953 Bowman Color cards are (IMHO) some of the most beautiful cards ever produced.  I'd never be ambitious (or foolish) enough to attempt to collect the set but I pick up inexpensive ones when I stumble across 'em. Just like the Bob Cain card I posted from my latest card show haul

I bought this not-so-inexpensive card late last year so technically it wasn't part of my recent graded card 'binge' but I'm as happy with it as I am with any of the others. I saw the '53B Musial being discussed on Twitter and I was struck by how this seems to be the 'most Musial' of all Stan Musial cards. I love the shot, his expression, the bat rack in the background and the uniform top the Cards wore.


I don't collect Musial cards in particular because I have enough PCs to keep me busy already but I do have a soft spot for him. My oldest and dearest friend has always been the biggest Cardinals (and Musial) fan. When we shared an apartment for a year after college the third occupant was his dog 'Stosh', another Musial nickname.

The first line of the bio on this card might well have been written by my friend as it proclaims Stan the Man to be 'the greatest'.

Finally here are the other '53 Bowman Color cards I have scanned and have posted previously. Enjoy!


Early Wynn


Russ Meyer



Billy Pierce


Jackie Jensen


Bob Cain



6 comments:

  1. I agree. Beautiful set. How did I guess Pierce and Jensen would be in this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy that in 1952 he won the batting title with a .336 average... which was an off year. His career batting average up to that point? A whopping .352! Insane.

    P.S. Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve always loved this one, have been THIS close to pulling the trigger numerous times but it’s never happened for one reason or another. Fantastic card, and you got a beautiful copy too, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niiiiiice. 53 Bowman is a set I haven't gotten anything from. Yet. But it's not for lack of interest or admiration for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because of the cost combined with no obvious targets for me (i.e. no Mets or Orioles, few players I collect), I don't yet have any 53 Bowman, but there are some great-ooking commons in the set and I'm determined to get at least one at a show I'm going to in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete