Wednesday, February 6, 2019

10 Posts, 10 Cards, 10 Books, 10 Songs (#9)



And now for something completely different... a pair of 60s Dutch Gum cards that I added to my non-sports binder recently. It's a fun set that includes all sorts of celebrities. I have picked up some of my favorite actors and musicians over the last few months. I haven't posted them obviously. This kind of card draw much less reader interest than posting the latest Topps offerings but you gotta collect and blog what you like, right?



These particular cards are blank-backed and measure about as tall as standard cards but are just a quarter inch or so narrower. It goes without saying that both Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart are icons of Hollywood. If they are in a film, I'll watch it. And both made baseball-themed movies. Cooper as Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees is the more widely known but Jimmy Stewart did a commendable job in The [Monty] Stratton Story.



For the second time in this series of posts, I'm breaking a rule and showing a book I have yet to read. My copy of The Pride of the Yankees: Lou Gehrig, Gary Cooper, and the Making of a Classic has been on my shelf for a while. I found it at a Goodwill Store and I have yet to attempt it. It received some very good reviews so maybe I should push it up on the reading queue.

Speaking of Dutch Gum cards...


These are smaller in size. More like those Topps stickers from the 80s. I would never even consider trying to figure out the Dutch Gum issues and various series.

How's that for a pair of icons? Give a listen to their 1956 Ella and Louis album:




Great, right? It should be. Here's the crew:

  • Louis Armstrong - vocals, trumpet
  • Ella Fitzgerald - vocals
  • Oscar Peterson - piano
  • Ray Brown - bass
  • Herb Ellis - guitar
  • Buddy Rich - drums

4 comments:

  1. Pride of the Yankees is one of my favorite sports films of all-time. I already have too many books on my "to read" list, but I'm crossing my fingers that you'll one day write a review on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got that Ella & Louis album on my hard drive and enjoy it, but I didn't realize it had Oscar Peterson and Buddy Rich, too! True jazz royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper... Super-duper!

    I like the Dutch cards, but it took me a couple of seconds to figure out that "W.B.P." and "Par." were short for Warner Brothers Pictures and Paramount. I like the idea of these cards, but there aren't many vintage movie stars I'd want to own on vintage cards.

    ...but I do own "Ella And Louis"... and "Ella and Louis Again"... and love both albums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the vintage movie stars and musicians more than the recent ball players. Nice finds! I have a few from similar sets myself

    ReplyDelete