Saturday, April 11, 2020

Collections, Near and Far


I'm not even sure what that title means but whatever. This post will be the first of a handful I plan to write to summarize where I stand in terms of my set chases, what I've been picking up, and where I plan to go with collecting in the near and long term.

Let's start here:



Those are 1962 Topps cards and their 'parallel' Green Tint version. I dealt with them previously in detail while I was putting the '62 set together. If you are not familiar with the 'greenies', they are, in a nutshell, the product of the Topps second series being reprinted off-site due to unexpected demand. The story is that the original plates were damaged in transit and had to be re-done. You can check out this post to see what motivated me to just collect a subset of this goofy subset.

A few weeks ago I was paging thru my '62 set and when I got to the back where I had the green 'alts' I got the idea that I could collect the entire group without too much effort. So that's what I'm doing. No hurry. A already had a couple dozen of the 87 cards in the group. I found a few cheap ones on eBay so I'm at about 30.  This will be a 'low and slow' project, kind of like my 1960 Leaf build, only much cheaper.


These are old news to most everyone. Even I'd seen them and I don't see much of the Topps 'on demand' stuff. I bid on this set of 20 Graig Kreindler-painted cards from Topps' 150 Years of Baseball in a charity auction on Net54. The money raised went to a dog rescue organization.

Kreindler is really good. Much better (IMHO) than whomever they have doing the Living Set.




This Tony Gwynn is among my favorites. I like that he's wearing a Tony Gwynn wrist band.


At least I think it's a Tony Gwynn wristband.  Looking at it now it looks more like Bill Buckner.  LOL



I have another small set that I picked up but I'm saving that for a post of its own. So I'll finish with these:





Am I collecting the 1967 set now? Well, I'm not NOT collecting the '67 set. I lucked into some small lots and couldn't pass them up. I'm just going to see what I feel like once my other projects finish up.

If I look at too many of the cool vertical backs I will get hooked for sure!



These backs are damn close to perfect!

More on my ongoing projects and things I've wrapped upcoming next week. I hope everyone out there in blogger-land stays smart and safe. Don't take any chances, I have so few readers as it is. 😒

8 comments:

  1. That artist set is really nice. I see that Mathews is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I included his because I think it's one of the best.

      Delete
  2. That Gwynn is sweet... and that definitely looks like a Buckner wristband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, gee whiz, I have '67 Topps collecting competition ... er, company!

    Kreindler IS good. I didn't put two-and-two together and didn't know he was painting these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I just saw that the other day on your blog. Meh, there are plenty to go around. '-)

      Delete
  4. "Am I collecting the 1967 set now? Well, I'm not NOT collecting the '67 set."

    That made me laugh out loud.

    If you need some help deciding, this oughta do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, some real beauties there. I'm also realizing that I had some which I sent to other bloggers when I had the set on my 'I'll never do this one!' list.

      Delete