Thursday, January 30, 2020

Wrapping One Show, Ready For Another

With about a week to go until the Houston TriStar Winter Show, I thought I'd finish posting my meager takings from the last hotel show I attended.

First up, a handful of oddball Rusty Staub cards. I'm buying Rusty stuff without a checklist which is a little like driving around at night with your lights off...you rely a lot on memory.

Swell Gum:


Pacific:


TCMA (from the 12-card All-Time Expos set.
But I was positive that those were new to me.

Unlike this Charles Bender 1913 National Game card. I have a really nice one that is in a slab that I blogged previously. This one was a cheapie. You can never have too many of these, right?



'77 Topps Cloth Sticker Lee May:



I found a small stack of these things and bought a few to pass on to some other bloggers. I didn't realize that I already had one of these. Jim Palmer is the other Orioles guy in the set. I wanted to find a Staub but no luck.

Billy Pierce 1959 Baseball Thrills subset card. I had this one but used it for my '59 build.


1987 Fleer Akeem Olajuwon sticker card. Yes, he was Akeem before he was Hakeem. I have some funny Olajuwon stories from his days at UH but I'll save them for when I have a cool piece to show with them. All I'll say now is that if he crashes a soccer game you are playing in... don't get in the way of one of his shots.



I haven't shown much (anything?) of the '61 Fleer football set. Most because nobody would read it. But I'm almost done with it and I wasn't even half trying. As with the Houston college player photo I had on here recently, this pic has the UH practice fields as the location and the surrounding neighborhood as the background.


'87 Donruss Murray. Part of the bunch of Murray cards that I was gifted at the show. I always liked this design. This is probably the last set that I paid attention to before I lost interest in the hobby a few years later.


1960 Lenny Moore. I had this in my Colts collection but I just love this card. One of these days I might try to chase this set.



Finally a pair of Arm & Hammer Orioles cards from the 1930s. I'm shown the backs in XL so they can be read.







The TriStar show is next weekend. Brooks Robinson is a guest on Sunday. I may take my son to reprise this shot from 20ish years ago:


 Brooks and Brooks!


10 comments:

  1. I kind of love the way the numbers on Lenny Moore's jersey make it seem like there's something funky going on with the card border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha you are right. He flipped from #42 which he wore at Penn State. His '57 shows him in #36 which is weird. He never wore that as far as I know. Might have been a '56 rookie training camp thing.

      Delete
  2. Have fun meeting Brooks again next weekend! I miss the TriStar shows coming to the Bay Area. Rumor has it that if the 49ers win the Super Bowl, they might come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to guess that them leaving the Bay Area was due to venue/cost issues rather than a lack of collector interest.

      Delete
  3. That Bender is awesome. He was from the Crow wing area in central Minnesota. I have almost pulled the trigger on a few of his cards, but backed off. One of these days...

    Good luck at the TriStar show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I read a musty old baseball book that had his bio many years ago. Then I found this book and really enjoyed it. He led a remarkable life against long odds. I have a fair size Bender collection but I wish I could afford some of his really rare cards. I really want his '15 Cracker Jack card. If I ever pick one up I may just quit the hobby. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'll have to take a look at that book. I have yet to purchase any Bender cards as the price can get steep. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to see more 1961 Fleer Football... maybe not the entire set, but more. I may be the only one.

    That's a great "combo card" of the two Brookses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty interesting set. And nothing outrageous as far as prices go. I'll post a few from time to time.

      Delete
  5. That bender card is a neat one. My brother and I were able to meet brook Robinson at a show many years ago. What a class act

    ReplyDelete