Saturday, March 28, 2020

As I was Saying...

Yup, it's been a while since I posted. I've been busy, traveling, distracted, disinterested, socially distanced (been practicing that for years anyway) and much more.

I've also been to two card shows and received some really nice card gifts, so I'll wend my way through some of that in a few posts and see where we are after that.

Here are a few of the cards that came from Fuji. Behold the wonder!









Crazy, right? Autographs, Orioles, Cougars, shiny stuff, Colts! He hit many of my collecting interests in one envelope. All meat, no filler.

There was much more cool stuff including oddballs, Post cards, 1974 Topps needs (he finished my set want list!). One of the best hobby gifts I've ever received and I'm very grateful. I'll scan some others and post soon.

'Life as it is now' department:

I hit one of the last hotel shows before we were all shut down and scooped up a large cache of 1960 and 1979 Topps football cards. I've since finished both sets although COMC and a few eBay sellers are not shipping at the moment. They can wait, it's just cardboard.

I attended the TriStar show and met up with Marc Brubaker. He had some fun Orioles and Cougars for me which I am saving for another post. I took a huge chunk out of my 1961 Fleer football needs and added a couple of Rusty Staub items as well. I'll detail the show a bit in that post as well.

We were in New York, New Jersey and Baltimore in early March and had a great trip. Ellis Island tour, Rangers game at MSG, Fort McHenry visit, and more. I traveled up to Dallas to see the Rangers play the Stars when we got home. I thought it prudent to stop going to the Y a few weeks before they shut down and have been walking every day. It's boring but Bob Dylan and Miles Davis are good company.

Mini Travelogue...

NYC




Ferry from Ellis Island to SoL






Ft. McHenry in Baltimore







We are healthy and being smart and I hope you are as well.



16 comments:

  1. Good stuff all the way around, especially the Brooks Robinson auto to lead things off. What got me is the beer at the end. That looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tnx, Tom. SpindleTap does this kind of IPAs only. Each one is better than their last one.

      Delete
  2. Crazy stuff Fuji has just sitting around.

    I'm very much a social distance guy when it comes to working out. I love my walks. Interacting a gym? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had free gym memberships w/my Medicare plan since I turned 65. I didn't like the gyms I tried, too many hardheads but the Y has been fun. Mostly just old farts like me. LOL I had a heart rehab routine I was shown and had been enjoying it. I'll get back to it when this is over.

      And yes, Fuji has some great stuff!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to The Land Of Blog. It's funny, all those years I lived in metro NYC and I've never been to Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty. I've been to MSG, but only for concerts, never for a hockey game.

    Nice stuff from Fuji! He done good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going as a kid to the SoL. Took my wife there before we were married and my whole family there in 2005. Both times we did my famous "NYC in Two Days" tour, and so we didn't get off the boat. Just rode out and back.

      Later in '05 is when I saw a Rangers game live at the Garden after 35 years away. Sat in my seat and wept like a lost toddler. LOL I'm not ashamed, then or now.

      Delete
  4. Awesome package. Looks like a good trip to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip. Spent time (and some great Italian dinners) with family and spent a day with my best friend.

      Delete
  5. Hope you liked the cards as much as I liked the vintage Mantle you sent me. Those NYC photos are fantastic! The one of the Statue of Liberty should be on a post card or something. And I love how you've been socially distancing yourself for years. Although the first week was pretty rough... I think I'm starting to get used to it. Although... our district just figured out how they want to move forward with their "distance learning", so I'll be teaching lessons from home in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was wondering if you were doing online lessons yet. My old district is cranking them up.

      I have some more of what you sent scanned now and will have another post. And I'll have a question in among my usual nonsense.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back! You got that road trip in just in time I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, we were back east through March 4th. It was at the 'don't hug or shake hands' state about then. Our friends live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and says its just spooky now.

      Delete
  7. Nice package. And nice trip. I've yet to get to anywhere in Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to see and do there. My hometown has taken its lumps over the years but it always battles back.

      Delete
  8. Awesome cards! I really like your travel photos as well - especially the hockey game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The game was terrible for two periods but my guys made it interesting in the third. The game in Dallas was better! ;-)

      I really miss hockey. Rangers only had an outside shot at the playoffs, but they were so much fun to watch!

      Delete