Thursday, July 14, 2016

1952 Topps Look 'n See Pt. 2




Here is the other half of my '52 Topps Look 'n See purchase. First up, George Eastman. Hard to imagine the excitement level you'd reach as a kid when you opened the pack of these to find Ol' George staring back at you like your grumpy neighbor when you ask him to retrieve your baseball from his backyard. 


Francis Scott Key looks like Paul McCartney. With some Prince thrown in. I guess. The cards with 'busy' backgrounds are more interesting obviously. I like this one. Key seems unperturbed by the chaos at Fort McHenry.




As you get into this set the fact that each and every one is a portrait begins to wear on you. I've reached that point with Paul Revere.

 

Next man up is Washington Irving. I remember reading some of his short stories many years ago and becoming interested in the Hudson River Valley which was the locale of many of them. Years later I was able to spend time in the area and really fell in love with it. Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Newburgh and other towns along the river just have a charm and feel I don't find in many other places. Upstate New York, particularly the east and central regions of it is my favorite place to be.  Retiring up there is my dream but with my wife's family all in the Houston area it's just not very likely. Sigh.

 
 
Anyway, that's it for my '52 Look 'n See group.  Recently I loaded up some cheapies in my cart at COMC but decided to hold off and maybe just pick up a decent copy of both Abe Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. Time (and funding) will tell what I do with this set.

4 comments:

  1. Next time you vacation here in the Hudson Valley let me know, there is a source for vintage baseball here... averaging a quarter a card for early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, Francis Scott Key looks like Paul McCartney, who married Linda *Eastman*. Coincidence?

    Also, if you play The Star Spangled Banner backwards, you can hear a voice saying "Turn me on, Francis Scott Key"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a less smart-ass-y note, this is the kind of set I feel should be in my collection, but I might be good with just a couple. Francis Scott Key might be one, and after glancing at the checklist I might have to get one of Gen. G.W. Goethals, seeing as I've driven across "his" bridge between Staten Island and New Jersey countless times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this set. One day... I hope to add the Ruth to my collection.

    P.S. Love the McCartney comparison.

    ReplyDelete