Monday, August 24, 2020

Modern Day Benders

This post has been stuck in my drafts folder for so long I can't remember starting it.

Now, as we prepare for what may be a sizeable hurricane mid-week, I figured this may be the last chance to post for a while. No time to do any scanning.

This is a mix of Charles Bender 'art cards', legit issues, and nonsense I've picked up over the last few years.

These Helmar 'art stamps' pay homage to the original cigarette premiums smokers were collecting in 1911. The 'modern' versions are nicely done and look a lot like the vintage ones but differ in that these are not as wide.





Next up is a strip panel from the artist known as Gypsy Oak. I've picked up a few things from him in the past. We communicated when I was on Twitter buy he subsequently blocked me. Politics most likely. (ง •̀_•́)ง



The Topps Bazooka Chief Bender below comes from 1963. It's interesting in that it uses a photo of Bender from his coaching days. This set was unlike many of the candy/food issues in that it was not part of the box but rather a bonus that was inside the box. The checklist counts 41 players/personalities and were done in either silver (scarce) or gold tone. More info here.



Another modern piece done in throwback style. This 'Turkey Red' Bender isn't in front of me right now so I can't do much more than posting the scan. The real Bender Turkey Red has a different pose and is just a bit more costly.



Up last is a Panini 'postcard' that shows Bender's Hall of Fame plaque. I think I added this to my last SportsLots order. It's standard card size.



That's it for now. I hope anyone in the path of these two storms in the Gulf stays safe. See ya on the flip side.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be keeping an eye on the news and hoping you weather the storm OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Turkey Red. Hope you and your family are able to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bob, been a little while, hope all is well down there. Wanted to let you know that Kylian Mbappe Prizm soccer card I sent you a while back has EXPLODED in value it turns out. Just a heads up in case you wanted to sell it and fund a white whale for your collection or something, easily the most expensive card I've ever given away ;-)

    Good luck weathering the storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get back to you on this. next week probably.

      Delete
  4. Love the Bazooka. The Gypsy micros are a mystery. I hope you and yours stay safe.

    ReplyDelete