Saturday, March 23, 2019

"Buy the Card, Not the Holder"

Spend any amount of time on one of the card collectors forums and before too long you're likely to see the phrase I used as the title of this post.

"Buy the Card, Not the Holder" refers to purchasing graded cards and means just that...if you like how a card looks, and it's at a price that works, the hell with the grade it received. Here is an example using a card that brought me closer to finishing the '61 set.

The Ernie Banks All-Star card isn't cheap. I was able to pick this one up at a great price:



You can see it in the holder...graded as "Poor 1"



EDIT...Adding a shot of the reverse in the holder:



It looks better than that to me but then again, I don't grade cards for a living. In any case, Ernie is out of the plastic and in the binder. I'm  down to just these seven five cards:

531 Jim Coates
541 Rollie Sheldon
554 Pirates Team Card
563 Bob Cerv
579 Willie Mays AS

I'm going to go up to a big show in the Dallas area in April and hope to polish this thing off.

9 comments:

  1. Card sure looks nice to me. Nice addition to your set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sure is a nice card. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Looks real good to me, at least the front does. If the back is as nice as the front, no way I grade it less than Good, maybe even VG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like an awfully grade, but I've never understood how the grading works, so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a pinhole in that card or something? I just ask, because that card is in really nice condition. Congratulations on that pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't understand that card being a 1... unless the back is largely missing or has a crude drawing of genitalia on it. :-D

    Congrats on the Banks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know why it got a 1. The grader was an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a beauty Commish! Love finding cheap low grade cards just like this. Nice pick-up!

    ReplyDelete