Saturday, October 7, 2017

RIP Connie Hawkins



One of my favorite hoops guys and one of the most compelling to watch was Hall of Famer Connie Hawkins. I just read that he passed away at age 75 yesterday.

His online obits will list his accomplishments and detail his issues but let me just say that he was as much fun to watch on the court as any player I've ever seen.



I have a fairly extensive Hawk collection and pieces of it have been posted here before. I'll repost a few today. Several of these came from the always generous Mark Hoyle.




What an amazing player he was. RIP indeed.


The video below features some Hawk highlights and classic Marvin Gaye music, Inner City Blues




9 comments:

  1. Was sad to learn that this morning. He got a bum deal by the NBA back in the day, but luckily was able to beat them and get his chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really pay attention to anything news related, so this post of yours is the first mention of his passing that I have seen. One always has to wonder how much more he could have accomplished, had he not been banned from the NBA for so many years.

    Are you in need of his 1969-70 RC by chance? I have an extra one, it's got a crease on the side, but it still looks pretty good. If you're interested, just say the word and it's yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely I'd love to have it! Thanks a ton.

      I sent you an email.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard the news until this post. I don't think I had the pleasure of watching any of his games, but after seeing that video I was floored. It looked like he had glue on his hands the way he palmed the ball. Rest in peace Mr. Hawkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it he had an operation to remove muscle from between his fingers so he could palm the ball easier! But knowing Connie's background, his troubles before joining the Suns, I don't think he could have afforded elective surgery at the time.

      Delete
    2. I'd never heard that but his ability to hold a ball in one hand as easily as you or I could hold a grapefruit was astounding!

      Delete
  4. Pittsburgh's greatest pro basketball player of all time. Rookie of the Year for 1961-62 Rens of the ABL, MVP and Finals MVP for champion Pipers of ABA 1967-68. A medical center near me has a mural of 4 great Pittsburgh athletes of recent times...Franco Harris, Roberto Clemente, Mario Lemiuex, and Arnie Palmer. I've long contended Connie should be on there representing Pittsburgh basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-ICEE-BEAR-NBA-CONNIE-HAWKINS-NM-MT-PSA-8-NQ-HOF-/272881249039?hash=item3f88fd6b0f:g:r8MAAOSwVaVZ2~p2

    ReplyDelete