Friday, September 16, 2016

More Civil War News Gruesomeness


Through a combination of purchases on eBay and COMC I've added some new cards to my Civil War News binder and upgraded a few others. I spent a few extra dollars to get a decent copy of #21 Painful Death. It's one of the more graphic cards in the set and one I remember as fascinating me as a kid. It's badly miscut but the card is otherwise very nice. Especially alongside some of the poorly conditioned ones that I already own.

The back mentions Stonewall Jackson's Virginia campaign without any specific tie-in to the artwork on the front.


There were definitely several different artistic styles within this set. The face belonging to the guy holding the flame here is seen on many other cards. 


Here is another card I remember well. I was fascinated by the Civil War era armored gun ship the Merrimac.


This new copy of The Battle Continues is a clear upgrade over my previous one:

New:

Old:

I have already posted my mistakenly bought AB&C copy of Angel Of Mercy. The Topps version is equally as creepy.

A few months ago I did some checking into Civil War troop train wrecks and determined that this is based on an event that happened somewhere else besides Chattanooga on the date listed. I can't find the webpage anymore though so my old man memory made be failing me. 



A couple more random cards from my stack of new additions.


The Angry Man is John Brown and he graces Card #1 in the set.


I also picked up the most expensive and elusive card, the checklist. I found a cheap one after a long search. It's not as nice an example as I had hoped to add to the binder but given what these run in good condition this one will have to do.




1 comment:

  1. Love the art on these vintage Topps non-sports sets. Good luck on this really cool set.

    ReplyDelete