Thursday, July 16, 2015

Diecut cards...yea or nay?


I picked up an 8 pack box of Stadium Club and a pack of 2015 Score football at Target recently. The Stadium Club cards are great. No need for me to repeat what everyone else has said. Seems they get universal praise and I like them a lot, too. My only gripe is that I didn't get much in the way of Orioles or players I'm interested in. But that's probably on me. I did get an 'Albert Belle as an Oriole' card. Thanks a bunch.

I buy a pack or two of football cards each year just to do it. I'll probably spring for a pack of Topps football when they come out. Score is Score. They don't cost a lot and they won't bowl you over but I did get some nice cards for my fantasy binder. I'm always looking for cards of guys in the uniforms of the team he plays for when I own them. I was able to upgrade from some 2014 rookie cards of guys in college unis so I was happy.

One thing I picked up in both the box of SC and the Score pack was a diecut (diecut?, die cut?, die-cut?) card. Diecut cards have been around forever. There were some in the 1920s and probably before that. But I'm no fan of them. In modern sets they are just another gimmick. I like the color scheme of the SC Jackie Robinson card but that's about all.

That Robinson card is in the shape of a shield, more or less. But what's the deal with the Aaron Rodgers card? Is there some significance to the way it's cut? Am I overlooking something obvious here?


11 comments:

  1. I don't mind them when they go along with the theme of the insert, though I'm a very vanilla guy and prefer my cars to be normally cut and measure 2.5 x 3.5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diecuts can be fun and there are some that I really love. But others are just weird. And then there are the Stadium Club ones, which bore me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quarterbacks in the Precision Passers set form the middle of a puzzle card that includes a running back (Ground Gainers) and a receiver (Playmakers) on the ends. So there are corresponding cards that lock into the sides of the Aaron Rodgers card, like the Triumvirate cards in Stadium Club.

    http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/image006.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there is my answer, thanks Raz. All i found was the checklist

      Delete
  4. I am not a big fan of die-cuts, though there are some that I like but not many. I had damaged some a number of years ago while storing them so I prefer to not collect them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think "die-cut" is the proper spelling, and while I'm not opposed to the concept, I've yet to see a die-cut card which makes me say "This is worth the corresponding storage hassle".

    ...That being said, now that the esteemed Mr. Raz has enlightened us to why the Rodgers card is cut that way, I have to admit that's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always a sucker for all the mid/late 90's diecuts, so I guess for the most part I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like diecuts... depending on the set design. Like cards in general... some are really cool and some are lame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been a fan. As a collector mainly in the 90s, there were plenty of wacky ones that appealed to me as a kid.

    Some can be very tricky to story with delicate edges, but overall, I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a fan of die-cuts. Love em, but did they have to use that same tired photo of Jackie yet again!!!!?????

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the 2012 Topps Chrome die cut insert set. very cool looking

    ReplyDelete