Saturday, April 12, 2014

Dollar Store cards..... ugh.


I'm posting this in giant size so you can see the card edges. I pulled this from a plastic bag of cards I had in a prize box at school. The bag was a $1 multi-sport repack from a local dollar store. I'd bought a bunch of them at one time and had given most away. I decided to open one just for grins. Sticking out of the otherwise neat little stack were some obviously uneven edges. I pulled the card and saw it was this Fred Lynn and I was puzzled at first. I flipped it over and saw that it wasn't a regular card. Google told me it was part of a Topps 1990 box bottom. So a (poorly) hand cut box bottom card made it into a repack.

And the rest of the pack wasn't much better. A Don Aase card that shows him to have red hair. From the condition of this one these cards came from some kid's shoebox. Maybe that explains the hand cut Lynn.


A 1981 Topps Bobby Bonds. Again with the hair issues.


Donn "Two N's' and two L's" Pall. Don't remember him at all.


There were stale basketball cards including this one of a guy named Bison Dele. Who names their kid 'Bison'?


And one of this guy who apparently played for the Mave Ricks.


A hockey and a football card, neither of which were worth scanning. One Oriole from the 1986 Fleer set. At least it was a guy I liked to watch, John 'T-Bone' Shelby. He has two World Series rings, an Orioles '83 ring and one he earned with the '88 Dodgers. T-Bone is a coach for the Brewers and has a son who plays minor league ball and one who plays baseball at the U of Kentucky. He once tossed me a baseball at Arlington Stadium as he came in from pre-game warm-ups. I gave it to a kid.


This Bowman card of a one time Yankee prospect named Yhency Brazoban features a sig that has to rank among the worst ever. I have second graders who can sign better than this.


And finally a Topps Stolen Base Leaders card from 1983 of the ever charming Rickey Henderson and his NL counterpart Rock Raines. Raines got over 50% of the vote in the 2013 Hall of Fame balloting. It was the fourth straight year that his total has gone up. I'm not sure he'll make it.



The rest of the cards were even less inspiring. I can't get motivated to scan any more of them so you are missing out on cards of two guys I have actually met. One is an Upper Deck card of Hoopster Orlando Woolridge (his nephew is a friend of my sons) and the other is a Score from the 1988 set of former Astros reliever Dave Smith.

I also opened a 20 card baseball only repack and got a Clayton Kershaw card. And a Mike Piazza, and two Norm Charltons, back to back no less. Woooohooo!

8 comments:

  1. I remember Bison Dele. From what I remember, his parents named him Brian and he changed his name in a conversion to Islam during his NBA career like Kareem and others. Can't blame the parents in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG.... from Wikipedia:

      Bison Dele (born Brian Carson Williams; April 6, 1969 – presumed dead July 7, 2002) was an American professional basketball player who played center. He played for the NBA's Orlando Magic, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons. He won a championship with the Bulls in 1997. He is believed to have been murdered at sea by his older brother in 2002

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't mind getting a box card in a repack... at least it something different. And you can always trim the top of the card.

    It's a shame that Bison Dele never had the opportunity to play in Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pope Donn Pall! He had a decent year or two in middle relief on the south side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Pope Donn Pall!" I had to read that out loud to myself, and I laughed.

      Delete
  4. Yhency Brazoban was a relief pitcher for the Dodgers about eight years ago. I had no idea he started out as an outfielder. It's weird to see him batting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, wow he was a regular in the pen! I had no idea. Looks like he pitched in 74 games one year and was in the NLCS. I just assumed the guy was never a big leaguer. I need to google more before I post. This guy posted an autographed card of his. Sig is still crap but it doesn't even look the same.

      Delete