Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Billy's Billfold


A large stash of Billy Pierce items hit eBay a month or two ago. I bid on one lot containing over 100 paper pieces and got out-sniped. Probably for the best considering my current hobby-related storage/organizational issues. Based on the auction descriptions it seems that the Pierce family is thinning out Billy's collection of personal memorabilia.

Other auctions featured trinkets, small awards and things like that. A wallet and this billfold caught my eye. Bidding on the wallet surpassed what I was willing to pay so I went all in on this.


Not much else to say about it besides the fact that it's nice to own a personal piece from one of my favorite players. There is something embossed right below the signature panel on the front but I can't read it even with my jeweler's loupe.

BTW...the Algiers Hotel in Miami Beach is long gone. It was an oceanfront spot on Collins Avenue built in the early 1950s. Much swankier than the Holiday Inn I called home last time I was over that way.



I did end up with a few pieces that I suspect came from the breakup of that large lot of Pierce photos and ephemera. I'm waiting on some of them. That'll be another post.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like it might be the brand of the billfold to me...any bills in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nope. It came empty. It would be the perfect place to keep a 1962 Topps Baseball Bucks insert of Pierce but sadly he wasn't included on that checklist.

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty nice billfold, it's too bad that people don't really carry such things anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's something that as they say really brings you closer to the game and it's players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's truly a unique addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete