Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Shabotnik Retort

The Shlabotnik Retort...get it? Clever, yes? I sent Joe Shlabotnik something, he sends something back..a retort. I've been wanting to use that title! Woohoo.  OK, so much for that, let's look at what Joe sent me. 



Yes, that's the 1970 Carl Yastrzemski. This is one of a couple of needs Joe filled from this set build. It's moving along nicely. And one less star is on my needs list thanks to Joe!


This LBJ card comes from a 1976 Rainbo Bread set that was new to me. Doing a bit of checking sent me down a rabbit hole in which I discovered that Rainbo sponsored two separate but similar sets. One was this Presidential set and the other honored 'great' Americans. I now own the later but the Presidential set will have to wait for some free time.


5 Tool cards...the Topps subset. A natural for me. I don't have a checklist for them (though it would be simple to find it) but I do put them in my 'keepers' box when I get them.



Joe knows Score and sent me this Cal Jr. Was he ever this young? It's a great photo.


Modern cards of Orioles past and present, mostly Brooks!



The Heritage card (lower left of the four) uses the photo which was used on Brooks' 1957 rookie card. A question arose not long ago (in a comment on my blog I think) concerning the orange-ish background of that card. Did Topps pose Brooks in front of an orange backdrop? Did they re-color the sky for some reason? Looks like now we know.

Next come three UH athletes. I haven't added to my Cougar binder in awhile. Maybe this will motivate me.



You never see 'Clyde The Glide' in Cougar gear on a card so this is pretty cool.


And now for something totally unexpected. A Strat-O-Matic game Billy Pierce! I played Strat for decades and still have boxes of player cards from the 60s thru the mid 80s. Every once in awhile I'll pull out the game and give it a whirl. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to add a Strat card to my Pierce collection. 

Stratheads will note that this card and the others Joe included (most of the '62 Giants team set) are from the basic version that doesn't include the advance version on the reverse. Leads me to believe that these are original cards and not from a reprint set. I only played the basic game, btw. 


I put the Giants (except for Billy Pierce of course) in my free agent Strat box. I use them when playing for fun. I just dig in and build teams from whatever comes out in my hand.

The rest of Joe's envelope was stuffed with Orioles, shiny and new and otherwise. 



Never knew that Bowman produced two-sided cards. Here's one. The back side is above. Hunter Harvey graces the front.




2017 Bunt. Heaven's light shines on Zach. Hurry back!


One of the great names in the game, Storm Davis. And one of my favorite 80s sets. Cards like this make me nostalgic for Memorial Stadium.


Foursome of Bowmans including an Adam Jones.


A Chrome Jones.

Next card is from when Machado was just a gleam in Orioles' fans eyes.



I don't know much about Jake Lemoine but his card is bright enough to light up a small city. Scan doesn't do it justice.

I think that wraps it up. A great group of cards from a great blogger! Thanks again, Joe!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cards... You should know that I put more effort into shopping for you than for family members! (Granted, my family largely doesn't exchange gifts anymore, but still...)

    I have to admit, though... The Cal Ripken was a "re-gift" as it's one I got from Shoebox Legends Shane and then realized I already had.

    The Minor League Manny is from a COMC order a couple of years ago where I realized upon delivery that I bought two of the same card. My stupidity is your gain.

    In case you hadn't noticed, Jake Lemoine is also a former Coog. He got drafted by the Rangers in 2015 but due to injury he didn't make his pro debut until last month with the "Low A" Hickory Crawdads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun package of cards 4sure. Complete brain cramp on Lemoine. LOL Heck I'm a BB season ticket holder (although I don't use them much...it's just for support) and saw him play. LOL Getting old is a bitch sometimes.

      Delete