Sunday, October 6, 2019

Pages of Talent

One of the really fun things about putting together smaller vintage sets like the '57 Topps is the incredible concentration of amazing players that get grouped together on binder pages. If collecting encased, graded cards is your thing, that's fine. But for me there is nothing like flipping through a set and just seeing stars on top of stars.


The first two pages in this wonderful set are perfect examples. Here's the very first one:


Teddy Ballgame, Yogi, Aparicio, all Hall of Famers. Plus some really talented 'other guys'....Sal Maglie, Don Mossi (a blogger favorite!), Dale 'Eight Straight Dinger Games' Long and one of my Dad's favorites, Hector Lopez. BTW... I'm looking to upgrade that Maglie.

And when you turn that page you're faced with this...

Willie Mays, Robin Roberts, Don Drysdale the underrated Dick Groat and three, count 'em, three Orioles!!  Here's something I bet you didn't know...Groat is the color guy on Pitt Panther basketball broadcasts.


I bit deeper into the binder comes this one...


...Bob 😒 Clemente, Gil Hodges, Jim Piersall and Lindy McDaniel. Those bottom three cards are all beauties, yes? And don't overlook George Crowe. He had an interesting and accomplished life. His SABR bio is well worth the time it takes to read it.

OK, so this last page doesn't have the star power of the other three but I'm including it because it holds the cards of three players I love, Warren Spahn, Moe Drabowsky and Ellie Howard. Not to mention a great card of Larry Doby.


As I zero in on the last couple of dozen cards I need to finish off this set it's really becoming a favorite. I didn't appreciate it nearly as much going in as I do now. I'm really glad I took it on.


4 comments:

  1. "there is nothing like flipping through a set and just seeing stars on top of stars."

    Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just scanned my 57 Binder for tomorrow's post and mini series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can beat the '50s for star power. I still consider this set somewhat drab but some of those close-up shots like Clemente and Gilliam are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Williams and Berra kick off this set? Topps didn't mess around. My knowledge of 50's baseball is very limited compared to the 80's through the present... but even I was able to recognize at least 50% of the names on these 4 pages. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete