Monday, November 5, 2012

Thoughts of better times




Coming off last season's 12-1 season including a bowl win over Penn State and an (at times) national ranking a lot of my fellow Houston alums had visions of another big season in 2012. But I pretty much knew better.

We were going to war with a new unproven coach, new starters at almost all the skill positions and our usual terrible defense. But even given all that I expected better things than what I've seen this year. My Coogs are awful and it's getting worse. The UH faithful (we don't have many) are calling for Coach Levine's mostly bald scalp and it appears our AD's honeymoon is over.

So I thought I'd post a few cards of one of my favorite UH greats, Heisman trophy winning Andre Ware. Ware was the 1989 Heisman winner, the first black quarterback to take home the award. He set dozens of collegiate records while running the Coogs' Run-N-Shoot offense. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004.

The Lions took Ware in the first round of the 1990 draft but his skills didn't translate to the NFL. After four up and down years with Detroit he played in Canada and with Berlin in NFL Europe.

Andre got into broadcasting after his playing days and has worked college football for ESPN/ABC. He has been the radio color analyst for the Texans since their inception and he is really great at it. Honest and well spoken, he is a great representative for the University of Houston.

2 comments:

  1. Those Heisman cards are pretty cool. I found a little box of those last spring. Really nice design and write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them a lot as well. I thought the artwork was a lot better than some of what was put out on cards at the time. I remember ordering them from the comapny through an ad in a hobby publication and getting the first two series. I lost track of them after that and don't know what a complete set consists of. I know that one autographed card was included and I recieved an Archie Griffin signed card.

      Mine boxed series are buried deep in my closet, I got this one in a Cougar card lot.

      Delete