Sunday, October 16, 2016

My '58 Topps Blog is online


I spent a bit of time over the past week getting the 1958 Topps Blog ready to go. You also can find the link over in the sidebar. The format is still a work in progress but it'll likely remain pretty simple: a scan of both sides of the card, a blurb about the player(s) and maybe an odd fact or two from the 'net.

Right now I have 353 of the 494 cards in the set which puts me at 71.4%. Maybe a dozen or so of what I have will get upgraded eventually but for now I can live with them. The set itself doesn't get much love from collectors. The numerous head shots and lack of backgrounds tend to push it down any list of 'faves of the 50s' but that doesn't faze me. I have a sentimental attachment to it and maybe my blog will stir up some converts. Honestly, a binder page of ex/m 58s is a thing of beauty.

According to my calculations the 1958 Topps set contains cards of 39 Hall of Famers. Several are represented on multiple cards in the set including base cards plus the All Star subset and the multiplayer specials. They are:
  • Ted Williams
  • Bob Lemon
  • Willie Mays
  • Don Drysdale
  • Hank Aaron
  • George Kell
  • Roberto Clemente
  • Al Kaline
  • Dick Williams
  • Luis Aparicio
  • Duke Snider
  • Robin Roberts
  • Early Wynn
  • Jim Bunning
  • Enos Slaughter
  • Mickey Mantle
  • Sandy Koufax
  • Red Schoendienst
  • Richie Ashburn
  • Bill Mazeroski
  • Warren Spahn
  • Frank Robinson
  • Harmon Killebrew
  • Will Harridge
  • Warren Giles
  • Brooks Robinson
  • Ernie Banks
  • Walter Alston
  • Whitey Ford
  • Hoyt Wilhelm
  • Orlando Cepeda
  • Yogi Berra
  • Pee Wee Reese
  • Nellie Fox
  • Larry Doby
  • Whitey Herzog
  • Eddie Mathews
  • Casey Stengel
  • Stan Musial
I'm not sure how frequently I will be posting over there but I'll try to maintain a one- or two-a-week pace. I also want to keep my 1960 blog moving along. I neglected that one for a few months until this week.

I hope you'll check out the '58 site. Comments and criticisms are always welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment