Monday, February 15, 2021

Project 2020 Jackie R.

 


In honor of Presidents Day I'm posting a card I've had on my desk for a month or two. I didn't follow the Topps Project 2020 thing very closely but I'm somehow back on their mailing list and this one caught my eye. I love that it's not the same old pose of Jack Roosevelt Robinson and besides that, it's pretty sharp. I didn't notice that there is some sort of 'gem' embedded in the thing to the left of the name box. I guess it makes sense given the card was designed by someone named Ben Baller who is, among other things according to the blurb on the back, a 'world-renowned jeweler'.  

It sat on my desk because anything in a case is a pain to scan and I don't like posting phone pix, but here we are. I'm hunkered down in Houston awaiting tonight's record low temp and feeling lucky that our power is still on. Figured I'd put my time to good use.

I've also been meaning to mention that, from the looks of the comments on my 'Paid Too Much' post, I'm not alone in being dismayed/bemused/confused by the state of the hobby right now. And if you don't think the hobby is wacky, check this out at the Heritage Auction site. Apparently, for the low price of $35K (!!!) you can own a piece of a video replay of a basketball two pointer. I'll be damned if I can make sense of the whole thing but there it is. And heritage is no fly-by-night outfit. They are a big player in the memorabilia business.

 


 

5 comments:

  1. I think that's the nicest looking Project 2020 card I've seen. Classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be posting a Ben Baller card I added to my collection recently later in the week. It's weird that the style he used with your card and mine are very different. Anyways... hope your power doesn't go out... and you're able to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a nice-looking card, but it doesn't match the theme of most of the other cards and that annoys me a little. It's like he's designing for an entirely different set. There are a few other examples of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one classy looking card. It breaks from the theme, as N.O. mentioned, but I'm digging that card design and would love to see an entire set produced. Very cool pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you in that I’m glad it's not the same old pose of Jackie.

    ReplyDelete