Thursday, December 17, 2020

Earl...1969

 I haven't done much hobby-wise lately and really haven't had the need to post much of what I have picked up. The photo seller's store I like to prowl through on eBay had a big promo running recently and I grabbed a bunch. Here are the two baseball news-wire shots I bought. Both Earl Weaver pics from 1969. Both are 101% Earl, too. For both pics I've enlarged the cutline for easier reading.

In this one he's arguing with Larry Napp. It's over game three of the '69 Series play involving Jim Palmer and Bud Harrelson who had been caught in a rundown after being picked off first. The play (and the call) ended up being of little consequence. Unlike the terribly botched JC Martin debacle later in the Series.

The second photo is Earl in a much different mood. The Orioles had wrapped up the AL East that day in mid-September. Just like Earl, I was a happy guy!!



Just a note here...I had a bunch of comments in the queue that were awaiting moderation. I haven't been getting notifications from Blogger so I must apologise if you posted something and never saw it show up. I had been getting a bunch of spam comments and went to moderation settings some time back. I may just remove the filter and see how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, very nice! Cool to see the 2 sides of Earl side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are fantastic, great pick-ups and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These have to be from Historic Images, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. They acquired much of the photo library of the old Houston Post. I wish I had nabbed more of that stuff back when I had the chance.

      Delete
  4. these photos are great and love their captions.

    ReplyDelete