Sunday, March 18, 2018

T206 Charles Bender with trees!



Not much to say about this one except it gives me 2 of the 3 Bender T206 cards and it's not long for this case.

My knowledge of the T206 set is limited but I do know it's called the 'Monster' and it's the most iconic baseball card set in history. Lot's of collectors have insights into the variations, back varieties and such but I'm not sure anyone knows much about the artists responsible for these beauties.

Looking at my new card above with the trees in the background and my other one (below) without the trees I can take a guess that two different artists used the same photo as a model.


The third T206 Charles Bender is a beauty as well. Here is an image of it from the net:


I've exhausted my hobby budget for the month (year? LOL) but there are a couple of these on eBay right now that my my left index finger itching to click the BIN button. Lord give me strength!

11 comments:

  1. Very nice. I do like the one with the trees better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic cards, especially the portrait. Good luck holding yourself back from buying those beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm stalking Hackenbush. This is the second time tonight that I'm agreeing with one of his comments. I definitely like the "trees" version more than the "no trees" and "portrait" versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're not a T206 guy, what is it that's made you decide to collect Bender? Congrats on picking up the beauty! Even if you've exhausted the budget for awhile, it was worth it, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a T206 guy in the sense that I love the cards...but I don't really know much of the set's backstory and don't pay any attention to the various front/back combos, some of which are rare. That's what I meant.

      Delete
    2. I meant to add that I became a Bender collector after reading his bio some years ago. He overcame quite a bit to succeed as a ballplayer.

      Delete
    3. It's always fascinating for me to find out why folks collect what and who they collect.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cards.

    Restraint? What's that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete